Jaylen Brown calls out Beverly Hills amid dispute over event shut down during All-Star weekend: āIām offendedā
- - Jaylen Brown calls out Beverly Hills amid dispute over event shut down during All-Star weekend: āIām offendedā
Ryan Young February 16, 2026 at 6:46 AM
0
Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown had a brand event he was hosting shut down on Saturday night by Beverly Hills police over what they said was a permit issue.
But on Sunday, following the All-Star Game at the Intuit Dome in Southern California, Brown completely disputed a statement that Beverly Hills police released about the incident.
"I'm offended by Beverly Hills by the statement they put out, like we applied for something and didn't get it, and we did it anyway [and] we were insubordinate," Brown said, via ESPN. "I know how to follow the rules. I'm smart enough to follow the guidelines. It just seemed like somebody didn't want whatever we had going on to go on because out of everybody that was doing something, it seemed like I was the only one that gets shut down."
Brown had planned several events at a mansion in the Trousdale Estates neighborhood of Beverly Hills on Saturday, according to The Boston Globe, including a networking event and a panel discussion. But on Saturday night, police walked on stage at the panel to shut it down. At least seven police cars were parked outside to try and get the crowd of about 200 people to disperse.
On Sunday, before the All-Star Game, the City of Beverly Hills released a statement saying that an āevent permit had been applied for and deniedā due to previous violations at the event address. Further specifics aren't known.
āDespite the fact that the permit was denied, organizers still chose to proceed with inviting hundreds of guests knowing that it was not allowed to occur. BHPD responded and shut down the unpermitted event,ā the city said, in part.
Brown said on Sunday that the event was being hosted at Oakley founder Jim Jannardās house. Brown has a sponsorship with Oakley, and said that the cityās statement about a permit āwas not true.ā
"We didn't need a permit because the owner of the house, that was his space. We were family friends,ā Brown said. āHe opened up the festivities to us so we didn't have to. We never applied for one. ... I didn't have to pay for the house or anything. They just opened it up. I had to pay for the build out, but it was hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted for an event that was supposed to be positive."
Brown posted a video of his interaction with a Beverley Hills police officer on social media on Saturday, and said he felt like āweāre being targeted.ā
300k down the drain @BeverlyHillsPD
ā Jaylen Brown (@FCHWPO) February 16, 2026
Beverly Hills is so trash Iām offended had a great panel about the future of culture with great guest people worked hard for this how dare yall
ā Jaylen Brown (@FCHWPO) February 15, 2026
Brown was asked directly whether he felt the move was racially motivated on Sunday night.
āAll I'm going to say is that everybody else that did something in activation, [there] seemed to be no issues," Brown said. "It was 7 p.m. It wasn't 10 p.m., it wasn't 11 p.m., it wasn't [midnight]. [It was] 7 p.m. ... We're doing a panel. We're doing stuff that's positive. There was nobody that was inconvenienced. [We weren't] blocking traffic.
āIt's All-Star weekend, it's Saturday night and it's 7 p.m. What are we talking about?"
As for Jannard, Brown said he was considering filing a lawsuit against the city. The incident, Brown said, meant āhundreds of thousands of dollars lost down the toilet.ā
"The owner seemed like he was pretty upset," Brown said. "He wants to file a lawsuit because it's his house. They've done multiple events there and there's never been an issue. He's done four or five events even that week, he said, and it was never an issue."
Source: āAOL Sportsā